Here's how the floor is looking after the first few coats of glaze.
There are things I quite like about it, and things I am really, really not happy with. The floor was scored a little too enthusiastically in places :) leaving big lumps and gaps. Some of the stones look great. Some look just ... fake. What I Have Learned From This: just as I learned not to score floors at night (from the Great Hall experience :) I have now learned not to score floors all the way down to the wood, and to try to keep things lump free from the beginning!
I think I'm going to have to try cleaning up some of the grout lines, perhaps with my rotary tool, and then replastering some bits. Or I'll stage the room so that this part of the floor is totally covered with stuff :)
But I'm very happy with the little shelf I built for the hot plate alcove! It's balsa wood, with a very weak wash of burnt umber and white. I think it adds a lot of interest over the charcoal burner.
And here's my first attempt at a rustic Tudor sideboard, as seen in Hampton Court. I'm going to cut it down -- make it both less deep and shorter, so it'll fit in my space, but I'm pleased with the overall effect. Again, it just got a weak colour wash so it would keep its rustic good looks :) It's a really rough piece of basswood I got in a craft package, and works well for this application right out of the bag. At the moment it's balancing on top of the chimney breast!
Carolyn Pearce Strawberry Fayre heart etui 37: how to join panels with insertion stitch and attach the pincushion - I am currently stitching the Carolyn Pearce Strawberry Fayre heart etui as a stitchalong project. In this post I’ll explain how to join panels with inserti...
2 hours ago