Cob irons, part 1
My next task was to make the "iron" part of the cob irons, the part that holds the spit. I'd already decided to make a black polymer clay facing, but I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to use to make the actual supports for the spit.
I thought about using more clay or heavy wire, but then I found some little brass right angle screw hooks in the kitchen hardware drawer that seemed as if they might work.
After I glued the trimmed brick facings to the plywood, I rolled out some black polymer clay for the front. After it was baked I trimmed the clay to fit, and glued it on. I then marked and drilled five holes in each piece, starting with the lowest hole 1 inch from the bottom and the others at 1/2" intervals above it.
(At the bottom of the next photo you can see a sample of the original brass hook. I had to trim the hook part because it was too long and out of scale when I tried it as is.) I'm really glad I went with the hooks and that they were comparatively easy to trim. They're nice and secure and sturdy. I painted them black with acrylic paint.
And here are the cob irons in place! I know the suckling pig looks rather odd roasting over an invisible fire, but the kitchen flames are on order from eBay :)
Home of a Needleworker (too!) – a quick cross stitch project! - Sometimes, I just want to be stitching a quick cross stitch project; something simple and homely – and this project ticks all the boxes! It’s a cross stitc...
4 hours ago