Monday, April 5, 2010

Brick hotplate top

I intend to build in a Tudor charcoal burner on the left hand wall of the kitchen, using Brian Long's instructions, by and large.  I wanted it to have a brick top, like the hotplate in one of the kitchens at Hampton Court (see photo below).


I'm using a base of balsa wood just to have something to glue the bricks to.  Here's what I've got so far:


These are Houseworks mini bricks, available from most dolls' house stockists.  They're a little too regular for the period, so I'm shaping them as I go.  I'm nipping the bricks with a pair of pliers, which works well, but results in a lot of waste.  I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but I have a couple of packages of little bricks so I'm feeling profligate :)

I'll hand paint them for detail when I'm done.

I have no idea what I'm going to use for grout.  If you have any suggestions, let me know, othewise, stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I've used a normal dry wall filler (rapid one you can buy in tubes) for the grouting. They are usually quite white, but you can tone them with acrylics and add some fine sand to make it look more coarse.

    Have fun in your building work, can't wait to see it finished :)

    Ira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, MJ -- that's a great suggestion! I ended up using Polyfix, which is very similar :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails