Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Painted egg carton stones and tiny purchases for kitchen

I ended up painting the egg carton stones: here's the charcoal burner with its new, improved (?) stone work:


I'm also trying to design the lighting that will go under the charcoal burner -- I'm playing with bits of lighting gels, trying to paint them to resemble glowing coals and position them so the light coming out of the burners themselves doesn't look ridiculous.  I realized after some trial and error that I really need to have gels both in front of the lighting unit and on top.  This is the best I've done so far, but I'm still working it all out:


And I got a couple of little packages in the mail today. I've got a hydrangea flower kit (by Bonnie Lavish) that I'll work on in the evenings while watching dvds.  I also got a few little bits and pieces for the kitchen:

On the kitchen table here you can see a pair of pliers on the left, near the sugar cone.  They look as much like sugar nippers as anything I can find, ready made.  There's also a large iron strainer for the fireplace and a set of copper frying pans.  I'll probably keep the big one for this kitchen, painting it black for iron, and the other two will move into the William and Mary kitchen when it's built!

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the light effect in charcoal burner! It is fab! Is it really a gel? Fascinating! :) The egg carton stones look good in these colours:) Like the sugar cone - did they eat this?;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all very impressive and you've got the lighting looking very realistic. Does it really need more tweaking? I'm afraid I cheat and buy things, I don't make - but I am impressed with your egg carton stones. I used a stonework stencil round my fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fab! I'm also interested in the firegel, what is it actually? Never heard of it.

    Your castle will be so wonderful!

    Ira

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I have just made a Bonnie lavish hydrangea kit which i had a lot of fun with. I was pleased with the result which made two small plants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nina. I think that now everything is ready to begin cooking: although the fires are burning!
    Once, I pasting a crumbled lantern car parts around the bulb to simulate fire. The effect was credible. The light was flickering (it was a light bulb socket for the Christmas nativity scene - fire shepherds).
    For me it's night so ... Have a nice day :-)
    Flora

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I just saw the picture that you went to Cynthia: is wonderful!
    Of course, I love Ingres :-)
    Flora

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that looks wonderful. What is fire gel...seems like many of us haven't heard of it.

    The pliers look fine...just like sugar nippers. I'd totally forgotten about those things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once I figure out what I'm going to do with the charcoal burner lighting, I'll give a step by step for it. Lighting gels are thin sheets of polycarbonate film in different colours that are put in front of a light, for theatrical use, btw :)

    Thanks for the info, Janice -- I've never made flowers, so I thought a kit would be a good place to start. I'm glad it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your castle, the egg-carton stones are so realistic, the fire lighting is also and your giveaway prize to Cynthia is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much, Margaret -- and welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It all looks fabulous, Nina! Very realistic.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I luv that coal fire, it just looks fantastic!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails