Thursday, May 6, 2010

Edwardian fireplace

When I bought the black fireplace surround (it's by Town Square, in case you're interested) at the Little Dollhouse Company a couple of days ago, this sort of look was in the back of my mind:


Black, metal insert, tiles.

When I got home I remembered that I had bought two little sheets of printed majolica tiles on my first visit to the dollhouse shop back in October last year.  I had bought them purely because I thought they were beautiful, and now they were perfect for this project!  I love when that happens ... :)


So with the two combined, I now have this:


It's too bad that the angle of the sides of the fireplace opening is so steep (and there's no room to add a more "flat" facing because of the grate).  But the fireplace is going to go on an end wall of the roombox, so will more usually be seen from the side :)


Now I have to decide whether to paint the silver "metal" black, to represent iron, or dirty it up, or leave it as it is.  What do you think?

12 comments:

  1. I think I like the black. It's looking great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think black would tie those metal pieces in with the rest of the fireplace and your majolica tiles are perfect, what a lucky find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great! You're right - if its seen mostly from the side the tiles are especially visible. They're very pretty!
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your comments. Yeah, I'm thinking black would be better, too. Anyone want to vote in favour of silver, because I might just run wild with my black paint ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi, i choose silver, but, dirty it up.... leave lots of black in the grooves, then if you don't like that, you can paint it!! the tiles look lovely!!! good job.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearie, do both, as in black and dirty :). Whatever it is, I am sure you will agree that the current shiny silver is just too new :).

    Those tiles are absolutely gorgeous! They can pass of as Indian as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tiles are fabulous and I think be more visible if the silver gets darkened.

    I would go for patinating with a solution of brown/black/water, just a tiny bit and almost dry brush on the silver. If the result doesn´t turn out satifying, paint it black, as The Rolling Stones would have said it ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tiles are fab! And I also think black would show them better:) Can't wait to see it ready :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the tiles. Yes, I agree with the majority, I definately think black so it shows off the tiles better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely tiles! Black will look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The result is excellent. I would say, much better to start idea :-)
    The silver details are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks fantastic, like all the items from your previous posts :D
    Synnøve :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails