Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sampler on 40 ct silk gauze

On Friday the piece of 40 ct silk gauze I ordered from eBay arrived, and yesterday, with a certain amount of trepidation, I started stitching a tiny sampler, destined for my Mum's Edwardian roombox.

This is my first piece on 40 ct, and it shows :) I made a basic mistake, and I picked out a couple of places, but this particular sampler project goes really quickly because you don't stitch the background -- I'll mount it on a piece of off-white card before I frame it.  Mistakes aside, working on gauze is truly addictive! 

The chart is from Sue Heaser's book Embroidery Projects, by the way.  The finished piece is about an inch wide and an inch and a third long.  (Because it's for my mum, I signed it with my maiden initials, NH :)

5 comments:

  1. Very nice job, Nina! Congratulations on finishing your first piece on 40 count silk gauze. Is 49 count next? Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its beautiful Nina, congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your kind words, Natalia and Elga :) Yeah, I guess 49 will be next, Natalia -- maybe I need just a leetle longer to get the hang of the 40, though, eh? :)

    I really want to do some 40 ct rugs ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even I, I find adorable, the sampler: your initials make it valuable :-)
    Mini hugs, Flora

    ReplyDelete
  5. it certainly doesnt look like a first piece, well done :o) I'm sure your mum will love it!! I used to do a lot of cross-stitch years ago before I discovered miniatures so I'd love to have a go at stitching something so tiny, but fear I'd make a right mess-up of it... maybe I should just have a go anyway? or maybe I dont try incase it starts another miniature addiction? LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails