Over the last couple of days I've been working on a little project for the Blue and White Room -- a pole screen. I've got a McQueenie Miniatures kit I picked up from eBay, and I've designed a piece to fit -- it's 51 stitches square on 40 count silk gauze, and I based it on a Ming dynasty dais cloth, so it's the right period :)
It's actually coming along really quickly, even though I have to count like the dickens when I stitch it (this is the second time I've started it -- the first time I made a basic mistake in counting and tried to rearrange things around my mistake and then I chose a colour for the central motif that was far too close to the background. It was really ghastly!)
And here's the McQueenie kit -- I love their kits, even though the mahogany they use is not period for projects before about 1730. I'll do my usual -- stain it oak to tone down the red and see how that goes :) They're all well constructed and go together easily.
It's a really pretty screen design.
You can buy McQueenie kits either directly from their website or from Minimum World.
(There's a wonderful article on the history of fire guards or pole screens in The Antiquarian.)
Carolyn Pearce Strawberry Fayre heart etui 24: stitching the needle pages - I am currently stitching the Carolyn Pearce Strawberry Fayre heart etui as a stitchalong project. This week, I’ve been stitching the needle pages on doctor...
7 hours ago