Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Petit point pole screen

(How alliterative :)

Here's the 17th century Ming Dynasty dais cloth that was the inspiration for this piece of needlepoint.  Isn't it beautiful?  I love the fact that the dragons are so stylized that they become almost abstract. 


I finished the stitching last night and made up the screen today!

 Here's the stitching all done. (This is on 40 ct gauze.  I used a method of mounting the gauze for stitching recommended by one of the members of the Yahoo Petitpointers group -- gluing and then taping the gauze to a mountboard frame.  Worked like a charm, and stayed taut the whole time).


And here it is ready to be mounted on the screen.


I wanted to be able to hide the ends of the gauze and glue the piece in place, without risking glue seeping into my petit point.  I cut a square of laminated paper (from a postcard, actually) and used that as a backing, gluing the edges of the gauze around it.



And here's the petit point chart for your own use -- this would make a nice cushion as it is, or a larger firescreen if done on 32 count canvas. 

17 comments:

  1. Wow, Nina! It is utterly stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina, you have done a great work. I love your dragons, Rosanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wauw, that is beautiful work, Nina! Great pattern and great colors.
    Love, Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. and so quik Nina greetings from htpp://the-mouse-mansion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Love the dragons!
    Sigh... Even with magnification, I can no longer do 40 ct! I miss getting the beautiful detail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a perfect design for the castle,beautifully done, and it is very generous of you to share it. I love working on 40ct gauze, but must admit I am grateful for a bit of magnification . Hope to 'talk' soon on Petitpointers.
    Sandie (Snippets from my Studio)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is gorgeous Nina and thanks for the chart, it will come in handy one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Nina, when I came across your blog, I was at the beginning of my adventure but I immediately recognized in you the most authentic spirit of the passionate of doll houses, that does not stop the face of obstacles just to reach the result that is sought, namely to recreate the scene he has in mind in the smallest details!
    Your houses, all, are animated by the pursuit of beauty combined with a love which you do every thing: this fender is a small but important sign of your skill :-)
    Thanks for the pattern: when I will get to work think of you with affection and gratitude :-)
    Floa
    P.S. I've scoured the McQueenie Miniatures site and found it very stimulating :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful work, just stunning !!
    I love it.
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  10. The screen turned out beautifully! Its looks perfect in the room. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've made a lovely job of the screen. Perfect for your blue & white room.

    I would give it a go but unfortunately we're too poor in The Tenement for such luxuries - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just want to thank you Nina for sharing the pattern and to let you know that it's a fabulous piece!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is incredible! I find it very interesting, also, that the stylized Asian dragons also resemble Celtic animals in art - how neat that different times and cultures can seem so similar!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the pattern and the mounting board tip - very handy to know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're so welcome :) The mounting board works like a charm for silk gauze!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails