I've found photographing my projects to be immensely helpful when trying to recreate something in real life. I think we've all had the experience of thinking something looked fine, then taking a photo of it (especially a macro photo or a shot from "doll's eye" perspective), and realizing that we've screwed something up :)
This is very true as I continue my journey with the kitchen floor!
First of all, this is my inspiration photo. I love the fact that the tile colours are so varied, yet all clearly belong together. They're grounded, somehow.
And here's where things are this morning, after working over the floor with the original pigments, adding ultramarine blue and ochre.
I can see that I'm getting there, for sure. It's not dreadful, but it all needs to be tied together. I need to stipple the tiles with a darker colour, especially the paler tiles. I need to put in a nice dark wash for the grout (that will be easier now that it's all sealed -- I can wipe the wash off the face of the tiles, leaving the pigment in the grout lines. I also don't have to be afraid of using more and richer colour. I think I'll do one more pass with some deeper terracotta colours and then try to create the grout look.
If anyone has some ideas, please shout out!
Green Foam Bits Everywhere.... - I started some of the landscaping yesterday, and managed to finish getting the gravel onto the walkway. I rather like the wider strip to one side; this w...
4 hours ago