Sunday, August 22, 2010

Ground Floor of WAMH going together!

I've been busy the last couple of days :)

I did some more work on the back wall of the ground floor. Here it is, out of context, and in front of the castle kitchen.  Man, is my workroom messy!

Here's a view of the rooms before any gluing has happened -- my last "dry fit" run.

Here's a better view of the hallway.  The panelling isn't finished, but I'll do that when it's all glued up, because I have to fit some baseboards in situ (because of the thickness of the tile floor, I need to deal with that extra depth.)  I love this room -- it's the hallway I've always dreamed of having.  Before I glue the stairs into position, I need to paint the wall inside  the closet black, or something.

And here's a better view of the parlour.  The wallpaper still looks lumpy because it hasn't really dried totally in this picture (although I'll admit, there ARE some lumps!)  Again, I'll finish the panelling in situ.

Yesterday evening, I started gluing the ground floor together, which was so exciting!

I glued the left end wall on first, holding it in place until the glue caught -- then taping it down.  Then I glued the back piece on.  This was more difficult because it's 4 feet long, and I had to use a lot of tape and weights and so forth to keep it in contact with the base and left wall until it set.  Then I glued the right hand end on.  The foam glues really nicely to the plywood, and everything is pretty solid.  There's some wiggle in the foam, of course, but every wall and piece I add from now on will make the structure more rigid. 

I knew I'd have a few gaps to fill once I'd glued things together -- in the kitchen because there's a dent at the end of the back wall there, and in other rooms because my panelling isn't exactly precise :)

Here's the fix in the kitchen, where I'm going to have exposed beams anyway.  It's a little piece of 1/4" square balsa, painted first, that covers the gap in that back corner nicely.

I glued the first interior wall in place, between the kitchen and the dining room. In the dining room, there's a gap at the back corner of the panelling. I glued another bit of 1/4" square balsa -- I do need to touch this up (or put a screen in front of it :) since I did it in the dark and it's not great! (When will I EVER learn -- don't do stuff in the dark!)

And here's the right hand end of the ground floor.  I cut the window hole in the hallway's back wall before gluing.  The other windows I've used so far have been standard Houseworks ready-built ones -- this one I have to build myself -- yikes!  We'll see how it goes ... :)

After a couple of months of messing about with this structure, knocking over walls and so forth, it's very satisfying to touch it and have it stay in place!  I've got lots of patching and bodging up to do, but this is a really happy day for me and the William and Mary House!

Love to you all,



  1. That's a lot of work! Great! Love the hall:)And the parlour wallpaper:) Can't wait to see the kitchen done:)

  2. Nina, it is looking gorgeous! I am watching this "foam" method closely and it seems to be a very useful and easier wall making method! I wouldn't worry at all about the gaps and patches! Old buildings ALWAYS have those! It just makes it that much more realistic! I love to find "evidence" of previous fixtures in my old homes - sometimes its the ghost of a former doorway or stairway..... these old buildings have been around a long time! As usual, your work is so inspiring!

  3. Great, I love having a view of the how to. It will be very helpful when i'll start building mine. Rsanna

  4. Thanks so much, Ewa and Heather!

    Daydreamer: I really think that Derek Rowbottom's method of making model houses with part foam, part plywood is brilliant. I was sceptical at first, but I'm convinced now! It will really reduce the weight of the overall model, too, which is a plus.

  5. Thanks, rosanna -- sorry I missed you, we must have been commenting at the same time :) I like seeing how people do things, too -- for some reason I find it very reassuring that there are many stages where the project looks like a dog's breakfast :)

  6. Thank you for sharing this build with us. I have always used kits so I have found it very interesting the way everything is being put together.

  7. I just found your blog and love it! My daughter and I are finishing a Little House on the Prairie replica. We are planning medieval shops next. Are you still planning to finish your tudor house?

  8. It looks wonderful Nina!!! I am amazed at how quickly it is going to. I also appreciate the how to's. Thank you!

  9. The dry run you did was an eye opener. It is actually a very useful pre-step :). I have never done that although I really think I should :).

    The house is really coming together, more elegant and beautiful than I had imagined. Happy day indeed :).

  10. Cada paso nuevo que haces en la casa me sorprende más.
    Es increible como trabajas. Esta preciosa y perfecta. Me encanta.
    Besitos, May

  11. What a job!
    This method offers the possibility to work comfortably on each side of the room without contortions and hand shake!
    If then we combine your skills and your rare good taste, we get this masterpiece :-)
    I understand that you had little time to write comments on other blogs (we miss you) but it was worth it :-)
    Mini lovely hugs, Flora

  12. Una gran idea, para poder trabajar con menos problemas.
    Me encanta pasarme por tu blog, porque veo preciosos trabajos y ademas grandes ideas.
    besitos ascension

  13. It looks great - you've come a long way with this in such a short time. I'm itching to see it all put together.


Related Posts with Thumbnails