Monday, March 19, 2012

Early Georgian kitchen range and shelves

On the weekend I made a set of pieces for the kitchen fireplace -- together they make a sort of early range.

I made a hob-style grate using this tutorial by Carol Clark, which looks almost exactly the same as Brian Long's instructions from his Georgian Doll's House book.

Then I made a "cast iron" bread oven and fire box for the left hand side of the fireplace -- David's going to remake these for me in patinaed brass, but they'll do for now.  I haven't added the door to the fire box, but there will be a fire inside :)  I'm also making a fire for the grate.

 I made a few little shelves with some sections of full-size moulding, whose profile looks just right for 1:12 scale brackets!  One can never have too many shelves ...


I have a busy theatrical time this week, so I don't know how much I'll be posting.  Talk to you soon!

5 comments:

  1. Hello Nina,
    Great job, the hob-style grate is perfect.
    All the best,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina, I LOVE what you are creating with this house! This Kitchen is Gorgeous! That Grate is really convincing! And I love the shelf brackets too! (Not to mention the Silver on display!!) Really Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drooling over the pewter/silver collection - it looks wonderful on the dark wood... can't wait to get round to my own kitchen so I can pinch ome of your ideas!

    Have fun at the theatre!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done with the grate - you made a good job of it and thanks for the link. It sits in it's space very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks very much for the information about the tutorial! It'll be so useful for me..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails