Sunday, February 19, 2012

Finished crewel work and start on roof slates

 I finished the little crewel project last night -- it was so much fun, I just couldn't stop!  (I stitched it while watching Truffaut's 1966 film of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 :))  Doing this kit has really given me a great deal of confidence -- thanks again, Cookie!  I'm going to make it into a fire screen for the bedroom, I think.  More later ....


And I started slating the back part of the kitchen roof, using Richard Stacey's Versi-slates.  As noted in the instructions, the PVA glue I'm using makes them warp a bit at first, but they settle down.  Below, the bottom three rows were ones I glued on last night before bed.  The top three I glued on just before taking the photo -- you can see that the bottom three are flatter than the top.

They're very regular, so I made the bottom edges a little uneven to make it look more realistic. 

David and I worked out a cardboard model of the hipped roof (to make sure our angles were right) and we're going to cut out the roof parts today!  Woo hoo!

8 comments:

  1. Gosh, that didn't take you long to do the crewel work. It's a nice piece and will look lovely in a firescreen.

    Your progress with the roof is looking good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to see it installed in the firescreen. very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, that went fast!!!! It looks great!!!!

    Found this site this morning, I think you will like it, Medieval and Tudor furniture.

    http://marhamchurchantiques.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cudowne! Tak szybko skończone. Jestem pod wrażeniem. Uściski!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful stitching, Nina! Are you going to frame it? Or is it going to be a chair cushion... ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will look wonderful framed in a firescreen,your work is amazing! Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful embrodery! It wll make a wondeful firescreen. I love your dollshouse :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nina, you embroidered my kit beautifully, I am so proud of you! The stitching came out great and you have another kit on order. You go girl!!!!
    Cookie Ziemba

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails