First, I made a removable floor for the room, painted the foam to look like aged plaster, and cut the back part of the roof,
Then I designed the front part of the roof, which will have a removable panel so that this room can be accessed. Below is the cardboard pattern I made, from which I will cut the roof panel from 1/8" plywood.
I decided that this little room would have a fireplace, so I made a simple one out of off-cuts and balsa wood:
I painted it and fitted it to the foam wall, as shown below (first I cut a hole out of the foam the same size as the inside of the fireplace and painted it black. I also painted the bit of chimney that backs onto it back :)
Then I worked on the external chimney.
I shoved together two bits of wood, marked the shoulders of the chimney, and glued them together.
Then it was time for fun!
Or tedium :)
This is what I got done in an evening of glueing on Richard Stacey's brick Versi-slips. I'm using the Red/Old mixture. For this chimney I made my own corner brick slips from 400 grit emery paper -- I will touch it up so it blends better with the warmer brick colours. In fact, I'm going to touch up the bricks in general so they don't look quite so pristine. I covered the shoulders of the chimney in the slate Versi-slips, and I think it looks quite nice!
It's very satisfying, but very slow, especially on the short courses where I had to cut and wrap a lot of corner bricks. But it's easy -- I've discovered that it works better for me if I smear some Tacky Glue down on the surface and then lay a row of bricks, rather than trying to put glue on individual bricks. The latter got a bit mucky :)
And I've just decided to double the number of windows on the front of the house so I don't have to stick down so many damned bricks!