Sunday, March 10, 2013

N gauge buildings from kits - engine shed

Okay, so this isn't dollhouses, but it is scale modelling. My husband David and I are working on an N gauge railway layout based on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

N gauge varies a little in scale, from 1:144 to 1:160.

David has finished laying the track and it's now time to start planning and building the structures.

We ordered an assortment of building kits by Metcalfe. These are card kits, die cut and scored for easy construction.

And the construction is easy! We spent a pleasant afternoon working on the engine shed for Grosmont Station, which will be two Metcalfe kits connected end to end.

Here are some photos - more soon!



4 comments:

  1. my dad is building a railway, he is OO scale, I often go with him to exhibitions and always come away with something I can use in my mini world,
    he often teases me that soon I will have a train set as well as a dolls house, I must admit its tempting, especially the tiny ones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nina,
    Well done. It looks fantastic and sounds like a fun project. I look forward tos eeing more.
    big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truth: If I had more space, I might have pursued model railroading over dollhouses! Your post brings back some great childhood memories, Nina, (so thanks)! I think it's so cool that you and your husband are working on this together. The only thing MY huz and I can work together is our LAST NERVE, lol. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @debbie: there's so much, especially in OO/HO, that works well for our scale, eh? So much fun! Is your dad's layout North American?

    Thanks so much, Giac! It is a lot of fun, and keeps me building :)

    Heh heh heh, John :) I've always loved railways, too, and the N scale (and Z scale, of course) make it more doable for limited space.

    David and I worked out our little differences about working together by surviving the reno of our house :) I do love being able to share these hobbies with him -- and I know it totally surprises the other model railway dudes that I'd rather hang out with them and the railways than drink tea with the ladies. Not that I dislike tea (or ladies) -- I'd just rather be modelling :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails